Facial Tumors – Human Deformities
Facial defects and deformities could be congenital deformities or from diseases like Tumors or neoplasm (solid or fluid-filled cyst). Tumors can be malignant, pre-malignant, benign or lesions.
Tumor means “swelling” in Latin. Tumor or neoplasm are abnormal growth of mass tissue and cell growth that could be cancerous (malignant) or non-cancerous(benign), and most of these abnormal growth of tumors causes deformities especially when the tumor attacks facial tissues. But weird diseases such as the Crouzon Syndrome & Pierre Robin Syndrome can also cause facial deformities and facial defects.
Here is our list for Human Deformities caused by Facial Tumors.
1) Jose Mestre, Face Eaten by Tumors
Jose Mestre was born in Lisbon, Portugal on February 26,1956, and was known for having 11 lbs or 15 kg Hemangioma tumor on his face. Mestre was 14 year-old when the tumor appeared on his lips, but just ignored it. As the years past, the tumor grow larger but did not bother to have medical check up because of lack of understanding about the disease, financial status and his religious beliefs (Jehovah Witness). In 2010, Jose Mestre underwent three major operation, removal of the tumor by Dr. Mckay Mckinnon, at Saint Joseph Hospital in Chicago. After the reconstruction surgery on his face, he will go back to his hometown.
2) Huang Chuncai was born in 1977 in Hunan province, in the southern part of China. Chuncai was suffering from a disease known as Neurofibromatosis (NF) or also known as von Redelinghausen disease, a genetic inherited disease. He was suffering from neurofibromatosis since he was age four when it was first diagnosed by the local doctors, but due to poverty they could not afford the operation needed for Huang Chuncai, that caused the tumor to grow larger and caused him facial deformity. In July 2007 he underwent his first operation, with the help of the doctors of the Fuda Cancer Hospital in Guangzou, China, who caught their attention on Chuncai’s case. And another surgery of tumor removal in January 2008.
3) Huang Liquian, 58 years old, first noticed the tumor growth on the back of his neck in 1990, but he did not seek for medical attention. After many years, the tumor became larger in size up to 15 kg. Huang Liqian was taken to the First Affiliated Hospital in Chongging University of Medical Services in southwest China, where his tumor was removed through a surgery.
4) Gao An-ni, an 8 year-old girl from An-Yuan province, in Jiangxi, Province, East China is suffering from an underlip tumor. She was born with the tumor in her underlip but the family cannot afford the medical attention needed, due to poverty. In 2007, Gao An-ni’s father took her for medical check-up in a hospital which is an affiliate of the Gannan Medical College. But since the father was informed of the expenses for the needed operation and reconstruction surgery, the father decided to take her home.
5) Lai Thi Dao a girl from Vietnam, was suffering from Schwannoma tumor, or also known as “acoustic neuroma”, “neurilemmoma” and “Schwann ell tumor”, a benign tumor, that began as a small lump in her tongue, but became larger in size causing her facial deformity over the years. Dao has difficulty in eating, talking, and even walking because of the oversize tumor. In 2008, Lai Ti Dao, underwent a 10 hour surgery for the removal of her 10 pounds tumor, with the help of University of Miami surgeons.
6) Phuong with Facial Deformity
Phuong a 27 year old man from Vietnam, who has facial deformity caused by large tumor growth on his face which was noticed when he was 7. As he grew older, the tumor growth became larger covering his left face, and enveloped his eyes and ears. He had three previous surgeries before, but the tumor keeps growing. Local doctors and international team who visited their place offered to take the risk of another surgery, which may cause loss of blood and need a post-operative care, as the case was considered a difficult case and need an estimated 12 hours or more in the operation table.
7) Chantal Sebire Facial Tumor (Esthesioneuroblastoma )
Chantal Sebire, was born on January 28, 1955, a French retired teacher, diagnosed with Esthesioneuroblastoma, a rare form of cancer, and according to studies, there are 200 cases reported in every 20 years. Sabire refused treatment or any medical attention after she was diagnosed in 2000. On March 19, 2008 she was found dead in her home, after she fought the right to die through Euthanasia. The autopsy result found in her blood test, is a substance of Pentobarbital drugs, which are not available in any French pharmacies.
8) Marile Casseus, Polyostotic Fibrous Dysplasia
Marile Casseus , the 14 year-old Haitian girl, was suffering from a rare disease known as Polyostotic Fibrous Dysplasia otherwise known as Albright disease or McCune-Albright syndrome, is a form of fibrous dysplasia (thinning of bone and growth of lesions affecting one or more bones leading to weakening of bones forming scars within the bones. Marile Casseus underwent a 14 hours surgery procedure to remove the 16 pounds tumor causing her facial deformity. Dr. Jesus Gomez is one of the team doctors among the dozens of doctors who conducted the long hour surgery at the University of Miami School of Medicine.
9) Cody Hall with Hemangioma
Cody Hall was born with a tumorous birthmark-like known as Hemangioma, causing her face deformity as she grow older. She was one year old when the doctors in England told her parents it was a hopeless case and nothing can be done with her case. Thus, the parents decided to seek for medical attention for Cody in the United States. It took her 18 reconstructive surgeries performed at he St. Lukes-Roosevelt Hospital in New York, within 14 years. Today, Cody Hall, grown up and turned into a beautiful lady in her teens.
10) Kevin Armstrong, Solumoristosis (butt face)
Kevin Armstrong a 12 year-old boy, suffering from a rare genetic disease known a Solumoristosis, a kind of facial tumor, causing extreme facial deformity, disfiguring his physical appearance, a “butt-like” feature looking face.
11) Wu Xiaoyan, with Fibrous Dysplasia Facial Tumor
Wu Xiaoyan, a 23 year-old woman from Zhejiang province, China with facial deformity looking like a frog or hippopotamus because of this rare facial tumor known as Fibrous Dysplasia disease, and the large tumor almost covered her face. She is known as the “Chinese Avatar girl”. According to her father, she was blind at the age of 9, and having a hard time to breath due to severe swelling of the face, and one third of the tumor occupied her brain, and Dr. Lioquiging, revealed after he diagnosed Wu with Fibrous Dysplasia disease. Due to poverty the parents could not afford the necessary surgical resection and plastic surgery to reconstruct her facial deformity.
12) Mexican Boy with Myxomas Tumor
Myxomas tumor, a facial tumor that caused this 22 year old Mexican man, affecting mainly the left atrium of the heart, and the most commonly affected are the “Maxilla bones”. Myxoma tumors are commonly benign, but can be destructive if the tumor spread into the nasopharynx, nose, paranasal sinuses and the face. Primary resection and gradual surgery are the only treatment needed for facial defects and removal of the tumor, which could be sometimes fatal.
13) Baby with Facial Tumor and Deformity (used by Scammers in the internet)
This image of a poor baby with severe facial deformity was used by scammers to collect funds through “spamming emails” and passed it to many internet users. If ever you receive an email with this poor baby’s pictures please ignore it.
14) Tropical Disease and Facial Deformities
Tropical disease and facial deformities is a kind of disease existing in a country with tropical and subtropical regions, but lesser in regions with climate changes from summer to winter. During cold season, it controls the insects to hibernate, like flies and mosquitoes, which are famous for virus, bacterium, parasites and infectious diseases carriers. Most of these infectious diseases are transmitted by insect bites.
15) Apert Syndrome
Apert syndrome is a congenital disorder form of Acrocephalosyndactyly, affecting the growth of the skull, face, hands, feet and physical deformities. The diseases is a branchial arch of the maxilla and inferior maxillary bone that forms the lower jaw (mandible).
16) Crouzon Syndrome
Crouzon syndrome is acquired from birth, a genetic disorder marked by the premature fusion of certain skull, that causes facial deformities. Crouzon syndrome can be treated through Frotosupraorbital Advancement with simultaneous Maxillary Advancement at the Le Fort lll Level. Same procedure done for Apert Syndrome treatment.
17) Pierre Robin Sequence or Pierre Robin Syndrome
Pierre Robin Sequence (PRS), otherwise known as Pierre Robin syndrome or Pierre Robin Malformation is a facial deformity and a congenital case characterized as having undersized jaw or micrognathia, glossoptosis, or posterior displacement of the tongue and cleft palate and upper air-way obstruction.
18) Transverse Facial-cleft or Face Horizontal Cleft Facial deformities
Kangkang, a 14 months old baby from Hunan province in China, being teased and named him “Masked Face baby”. He was born with double-face feature, a congenital disorder known as the “Transverse Facial-cleft” or “Face Horizontal-cleft”.
19) Hang Mioku, Severe Facial deformity due to “Excessive cooking oil injection”
Hang Mioku, a Korean woman, now age 48, is suffering from a severe facial deformity due to obsession of plastic surgery on her face. She was 28 years old when she first underwent plastic surgery. Then decided to move to Japan for another plastic surgery and have more surgeries, that caused her face to swell, damaged and deformed. And when she decided to go back to Korea, even her own parents did not recognized her, a “total disastrous look”. Her parents seek medical attention for Hang, but then the doctors declined to do another surgery on her. Until she found a doctor who was willing to help her; but due to “expensive visitation”, the doctor decided to provide her silicone and syringes, and she could inject herself. But the silicone was too expensive and she can not afford to buy, so she decided to inject herself with cooking oil.
20) Paul Karason, Argyria Disease (The man turn blue)
Paul Karason, an American man, 57 years old, was suffering from Dermatitis, as a result of stress some 14 years ago. Paul Karason used a substance known as “Silver extract”. These substance are for oral consumption and with doctor’s prescriptions. But Mr. Karason, rubbed it on his peeling skin, without noticing it that his skin was turning blue. This disorder is called “Argyria disease”, a condition caused by exposure to substances and elements of silverdust or silver compound, causing the skin to turn bluish-gray or blue skin.